Migraines are severe headaches that usually begin on one
side of the head (often behind the eye) and spread to the
whole head. Migraines can last from two hours to a few days.
Robina 7 Day Doctors and Acupuncture recommends this video:
Migraine pain can be throbbing, pulsing or squeezing
and it gets worse with movement and normal activities.
Other symptoms include:
• a warning sign (aura) such as blurred vision,
flashing lights, numbness, tingling and funny smells
• nausea and vomiting
• a dislike for bright lights
• a dislike for loud noises
Migraines vary between people and so does the treatment.
There are many new treatments that can be used for an attack.
If a migraine is in the early stages, simple medications such
as aspirin and anti-nausea medication may be enough to provide relief.
Acupuncture Treatment can help by:
- Providing pain relief – by stimulating nerves located in muscles and other tissues, acupuncture leads to release of endorphins and other neurochumoral factors and changes the processing of pain in the brain and spinal cord
- Reducing inflammation – by promoting release of vascular and immunomodulatory factors
- Reducing the degree of cortical spreading depression (an electrical wave in the brain associated with migraine) and plasma levels of calcitonin gene-related peptide and substance P (both implicated in the pathophysiology of migraine) .
- Modulating extracranial and intracranial blood flow .
- Affecting serotonin (5-hydroxytriptamine) levels in the brain . Serotonin may be linked to the initiation of migraines; 5-HT agonists (triptans) are used against acute attacks.
Back to Home Page: https://www.doctorbulkbill.com.au