The symptoms of tendonitis can include:
- Stiffness and restricted mobility at the affected joint
- Muscle weakness
- The skin over the affected area may feel warm to the touch.
Robina 7 Day Doctors and Acupuncture recommends this video:
Some of the common causes of tendonitis can include:
- Overuse of the tendons by repetitive actions.
- Calcium deposit along the tendon at the site of insertion.
- Bone spurs on the heels.
- Any sporting activity that requires lots of jumping and running.
- Running on hard surfaces.
- Poor sporting technique, such as holding a tennis racquet or golf club incorrectly.
- Inappropriate sporting equipment, such as a tennis racquet that’s too heavy.
- Lifting weights that are too heavy.
- Lifting heavy weights without warming up properly.
- Neglecting to warm up properly prior to sport or exercise.
- Extreme and regular physical effort, such as an intensive sports training schedule.
- Not taking enough time between training sessions to allow full recovery.
Ways to manage mild cases of tendonitis at home include:
- Stop whatever activity triggered the pain.
- Rest the area – trying to ‘work through’ the pain will only make your symptoms worse and delay healing. As symptoms subside, normal usage should be pursued, because total immobilisation or rest can aggravate the problem.
- Regularly apply ice packs as symptoms dictate (in the first few days) to the affected area to help reduce swelling and pain.
- Strengthening exercises
- Stretching exercises
- Weight loss advice, if necessary
- The use of padding, splints or slings to help immobilise the affected joint
HOW ACUPUNCTURE CAN HELP
Acupuncture may help relieve symptoms of tendonitis, such as pain and inflammation by:
- stimulating nerves located in muscles and other tissues, which leads to release of endorphins and other neurohumoral factors.
- delivering analgesia via alpha-adrenoceptor mechanisms
- increasing the release of adenosine, which has antinociceptive properties
- modulating the limbic-paralimbic-neocortical network
- reducing inflammation, by promoting release of vascular and immunomodulatory factors
- improving muscle stiffness and joint mobility by increasing local microcirculation which aids dispersal of swelling.
Back to home page: https://www.doctorbulkbill.com.au